You can be in any stage of a capsule wardrobe „project“ :you may be creating your first capsule wardrobe, or rebuilding or expanding you will need a guide!
There are several schemes, systems and guides to set up the basis of your wardrobe, with different ideologies selecting 10, 22, even 33 garments or more, depends which articles, which specialist of fashion you read and follow. We do not suggest to select an exact number, we just propose to follow a general rule and based on this you will have to personalize to your life and styling ability and time.
General rules of Capsule wardrobe:
- Choose a colour scheme.This would typically involve choosing one or two base colours that go with everything, such as black, navy blue, white, brown or grey. After choosing the base colours, choose one or two accent colours, which are brighter than the base colours, and co-ordinate with each other.These would typically be used for items such as tops, dresses, or accessories; once a colour scheme is established, all the items in a wardrobe should be interchangeable, as the colour of the pieces always complement each other.
- Consider your body shape. Some cuts of clothing are more flattering than others; for instance, stylists often advise that women with wider hips choose A line shapes, wear cap sleeves, as they make the shoulders appear wider, and more proportionate to the hips. If the items of clothing chosen are flattering, the wearer is more likely to want to keep them in their wardrobe.
- Consider your complexion. As with cuts of clothing, some colours are more flattering than others, to both skin tone and body shape. If the colours are well-chosen, then the items are more likely to remain in favour.
- Choose classic shapes and patterns. While some cuts and patterns of clothing go in and out of fashion, others are considered 'classic' because they do not date. It is wise to choose classic pieces for a capsule wardrobe, as the wearer intends to keep them for a number of years.
- Choose high-quality fabrics. As the idea of a capsule wardrobe is to own a few items of clothing that can be worn different ways, individual pieces get lots of wear. Therefore, it is a good idea to choose clothing that is well made and continues to look good despite wear.